Thursday 21 July 2011

Final Decisions for Designing the Car Article

I've decided to start planning for the production of this double page spread. This should give me a basis to start work on my design ideas.

Article Style
I've chosen to write a nostalgic style article on the 1997 Ford Fiesta from the point of view of a modern day enthusiast. This means it will have a similar demographic and purpose as something like Retro Car Magazine. I chose this style because a modern day review of an older car should come naturally. It is 14 years old after all. I thought this would be better than pretending it was new even though that did sound like a fun idea. A more realistic piece of writing should make for better content and subsequently a better double-page spread.

Content
The article will feature a review of how it drives, looks and feels but from a nostalgic point of view not overly critical like a consumer based magazine. Perhaps comparing it with modern cars (although my experience with driving new cars is limited). I want to include facts about the car as well as a brief history of the model, as the article will be looking back at this car as well.

Photography
Photography will most likely focus on the styling of the car as it is supposed to be portrayed in some kind of nostalgic light (possibly as far as being 'retro'). I want there to be a running theme throughout the imagery but I will decide exactly what this theme is at a later date. It might be beneficial to brainstorm some themes or go out and take photos of some locations and see what inspiration I can draw from them. I do feel I have the opportunity to be somewhat experimental with the photography as research has shown me there are many different ways to advertise a car in a magazine. But the photos should reflect what is being said about the car in the article. Narrowing down the theme will probably co-inside with writing the article which will, once finished, give me a broader picture of what I'm trying to communicate about this car.

No comments:

Post a Comment