Friday 19 August 2011

Typographic Spreads

For this brief I'm keen on doing a typographic piece. I'd like to choose a typeface and write an article about it whilst displaying it in an interesting way that highlights it's characteristics.
This is one example of a typographic article. The way the designer has rearranged Rockwell in this spread reminds me of an avalanche or a rocky mountain. I'm not sure if that was what is supposed to be implied. I have noticed however that the designer has grouped letters together in a way that highlights aspects of the shape of the letters, e.g. - the O and the C together highlight the circular shape that they're both based on. Additionally the K and W are connected via their serifs which highlights Rockwell's chunky slab serif design.
I thought this design was interesting. By setting on letter really large across the spread the reader can see the style of the typeface in greater detail. I think it highlights the shapes that make up the letter, especially through the way the W appears trail from the bottom corner of the page which angle in which the letter sits at. It also makes the overall design more visually interesting and, I think, emphasizes the contrast between the thick stem and the thin serif.

The article itself is quite short but I think the designer has made good use of white space with this more minimal approach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment