Thursday 1 September 2011

Developing some Ideas

I decided to take a pick a few ideas I was most interested in and developing them further by mocking them up in Adobe Illustrator. Illustrator proved to be a useful tool when it comes to manipulating type and vector graphics together. For the finals I will be transfering the design, somehow, into InDesign. For both designs I substituted the article with lorem ipsum just to see how it would look overall.
 For this design I started with the large 'f' and expanded the design from there with vertical and horizontal lines leading off from the word 'futura'. I experimented with rotating the design at different angles. I have to be careful not to make reading the article too difficult as rotating too much would mean people would have to physically turn the magazine just to read it, which wouldn't be good. I went for a red black and white colour scheme as these are some of the colours that particularly stood out to me when looking at inspiration like the moodboard. Red is also a very bold and alerting colour, which reflects Futura's popularity as display type thoughout the 20th century. Red and black seems to have been a popular colour scheme for advertising in the 1920s and 30s from what I've seen.
This design is based on another idea I sketched. It's much more simplistic and straight-forward. I think it conveys the idea that Futura is based on geometric shapes really well but might be limited as it doesn't really show any other weights or symbols found in the typeface. I like how it turned out though, I think it would jump out at the reader if they opened the spread to this page, in a similar way that Futura has been used to demand attention since its creation.

I'll develop them further experimenting with alterations in content, compostion and colour scheme to see if I can improve the designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment